|Rugby Legend Helps Launch Local Appeal|
H&F sportsman needs 24/7 care after tragic accident
Rugby legend Jason Leonard is helping Hammersmith and Fulham Rugby Football Club launch an appeal to raise funds for a young player who was tragically injured during a match earlier this year.
On 5th April, 25-year-old Stuart Mangan broke his neck playing for H&F RFC. The injury has left him with no feeling below his neck and he is reliant on a ventilator and needs round-the-clock care.
Mangan was playing fly-half and the injury, which is said to be extremely rare, occurred in open play.
He is currently being cared for at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, north London but he is likely to move into a flat in west London in the near future.
The Club has launched a campaign called “Give 2 for Stu” and is asking everyone connected with rugby to give £2 to help the stricken former player.
“If everyone involved in rugby - players, coaches, officials and supporters - gives just £2, less than the cost of a post-match pint, then we can together make a real difference to Stuart’s life,” wrote Leonard in an open letter addressed to all rugby players and fans.
“Please help us by either organising a fundraising event or by simply making a donation to the appeal. Whatever you decide to do, Hammersmith & Fulham would greatly appreciate your support for Stuart in his hour of need. Be assured that every penny raised will go to help Stuart and his family,” Leonard added.
Leonard, who is a former rugby union prop, is one of the patrons of the Stuart Mangan Appeal, along with fellow rugby players Keith Wood, Raphael Ibanez, Jonathan Davies and David Sole.
Hammersmith & Fulham RFC says Saturday 4th October, when the First XV play Hampstead at Hurlingham in the league, will be Stuart Mangan Day. On that day, they will be asking all rugby clubs in the country to help raise funds for the Appeal.
22 September 2008